New Talent: Martial Artist

Wyrin

New Talent: Martial Artist

Post by Wyrin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Martial Artisit
You are skills at making powerul attacks whilst unarmed. Your Brawling skill is used (and can be renamed) to represent your particular discipline.
You suffer no penalty for attacking or being attacked without weapons. Your normal attacked are made with damage rolled as Unarmed(Human-sized). By spending 1 LUCK point, and concentrating for one round/action, you focus your inner strength to deliver more devastating blows. For the rest of the encounter, you roll damage as Unarmed(Large size). You may activate this ability as many times per day as you have ranks invested in the Brawling Special Skill - each activation at subsequent encounters requires loss of additional LUCK points.
This ability cannot be used whilst wearing metal armour or a shield

Thoughts?

Skyrock

Re: New Talent: Martial Artist

Post by Skyrock » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:11 pm

Negating the unarmed penalty is a must, given how steep the penalty is and how important effective Skill is in combat. There will be no way around it.

Spending luck is an awkward way of limiting, and one that is too close to the way priestly abilities work.
The limitation of activation per day by skill ranks also seems awkward and redundant - Luck is already a sparse resource, and one that is best preserved for the many save-or-die spells.
That temporary increased damage is also redundant to magical abilities as Strongarm or Smite.

Personally, I would just permanently beef up the unarmed damage, and leave temporary improvements to magic.

A classic kung fu monk or ninja will probably anyway be a warrior-wizard, relying on a bit of Magic score in addition to good Skill and either Wizardry or Priestly abilities.

torus
Knight

Post by torus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Just saw some rules for unarmed combat in Rebel Planet, which I hadn't noticed before. Essentially, each time you win an attack round as a skilled martial artist, if you roll a 6 on one die then you incapacitate your opponent by striking a pressure point or other vulnerable area.

One could introduce something like this as a special attack option available to those with the Martial Arts talent. If successful, the attacker rolls 1 die, adding his/her Brawling skill with the outcome being:
  • 1-2: no damage
    3-6: 1 point of damage
    7+: opponent incapacitated

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:16 pm

I like having a way of negating the unarmed penalty.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:16 pm

I do as well. The -4 to fight unarmed against an opponent with a weapon larger than a dagger is fair enough, that shouldn't be a smart idea unless you're way more skilled. But there were real world fighting styles designed for taking on armed opponents and those should remove or at least reduce the penalty.

But as a teachable skill, Martial Arts should be a special skill and not a talent. Talents aren't more powerful skills, they're unusual abilities. To make a special skill difficult to learn you just restrict access to teachers, and some should be specific to certain regions of Titan.

As a special skill it would be instead of rather than as well as the Brawling special skill. I like the idea there's a way to get Unarmed (Large sized) damage rather than Unarmed (Human size), but I don't like it being tied to LUCK. If it was going to powered by a stat I'd rather it was MAGIC, representing mystical inner energy.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:45 pm

you could model it as working mechanically like an additional magical form.

the names would change into stances, movements, defences etc, the magic points could by Chi or Psi points which get spent to use the abilities.

if you were going to go that way i would look towards the 4th edition D&D monk for inspiration as it was similar, or earlier editions psychic warrior.

that being said, a Talent to ignore unarmed combat penalties would be a reasonably use of a Talent but not if it also boosted the damage (IMO)

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:03 am

Eddie wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:45 pm
you could model it as working mechanically like an additional magical form.
Yep I think that could work well if you wanted to have a more complicated martial arts system with various special moves. If you had the separate CHI (or maybe ENERGY) stat you could potentially have a wizard/martial artist and the two abilities not cannibalise each other.
Eddie wrote:
if you were going to go that way i would look towards the 4th edition D&D monk for inspiration as it was similar, or earlier editions psychic warrior.
I haven't seen that but I was thinking of pulling out my old Way of the Tiger gamebooks for inspiration.
Eddie wrote:
a Talent to ignore unarmed combat penalties would be a reasonably use of a Talent but not if it also boosted the damage (IMO)
It might be good to have a Talent that boosted unarmed combat, for using with the Brawl special skill or a Martial Arts special skill or whatever. But is wiping out the whole -4 too powerful for a Talent, even without extra damage? What about the Strength special skill, maybe that should give +1 to the damage roll for unarmed combat or something like that?

I was thinking that having multiple related special skills is a good way to do something complicated like martial arts. It increases the XP needed and makes it more flexible too. So you could have a base Martial Arts Special Skill that just reduces the unarmed penalty; maybe at rank 2 the penalty is -3, at rank 4 it's -2, and at rank 6 it's -1. Then you have various "style" special skills, and your rank in those can't exceed your Martial Arts rank. At certain ranks the style special skills add moves that are powered by a stat. Those could increase damage, add a bonus to AS, and have special effects for some.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:03 am
I was thinking of pulling out my old Way of the Tiger gamebooks for inspiration.
That's a good idea.

There may also be something interesting here: https://fightingfantasy.fandom.com/wiki ... to_Karmico
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:57 am

The download link at Chimerae wasn't working for me earlier so I've only just got my hands on this. Nice work converting it to AFF2! The language barrier is a bit of a difficulty but I think the system's probably more complicated than I'd want for Titan martial arts. I looked at Way of the Tiger and while there was lots of cool stuff you could do in the text of the gamebooks the actual combat system is a bit simple.

The Feng Shui RPG might be the best source for styles and special moves, but if I was going to do anything with this I should really get across the Oriental themed FF gamebooks and what they had on it. Is it just Sword of the Samurai and Crimson Tide which have decent amounts of martial arts style action in them?