New minor spells

Slloyd14
Site Admin

New minor spells

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:14 am

Find north: The caster knows which direction north is for the period of 1 minute.

Magic writing: The caster is able to use their finger as a pen and write things down on paper or any flat surface for 1 minute. The writing can be erased normally.

Grow plant: This spell makes 1 small plant grow at 1.5 times its normal rate for 6 months. This works once per plant. It has a range of 5m.

Lapse: This can be cast on a target that the caster touches. If they are aware that the spell is being cast, they may resist with a test for luck. If the target is affected, it will get a -1 penalty on its first knowledge skill roll or spellcasting roll in the next 30 minutes. If the target does not make such a roll within that time, the the spell wears off.

Cure all: This spell can cure minor ailments such as colds, headaches and stomach aches. This usually has no bearing on the game.

Blessing of health: This spell gives the caster or a target the caster touches a +1 bonus to resist a disease, poison or the pains of childbirth. This is only for the next roll they make and it will wear off after 1 hour.

Healing touch: This gives the caster a +1 bonus to the next healing skill roll they make within 1 round.

Confidence: This can only be cast on a willing target and not on the caster themself. The target picks a skill that they have and rolls against that skill. If they succeed, the spell has no effect. IF they fail, they get a +1 bonus on their next roll against that skill. If they get a critical fail, they get a +2 bonus to that roll. This only works once per person per day.

Horoscope: This spell foretells a minor or vague event over the period of the next week. The target of this spell rolls a die. On the roll of a 6, they get a +1 bonus to their next test for luck within the next week. If the caster takes a -2 penalty to the spellcasting, this happens on the roll of 5-6. If they take a -4 penalty, it happens on the roll of 4-6 etc. This spell only works once per week per person.

Extend: When cast with any minor spell that has a duration or time limit, it will double it. If the caster takes a -2 penalty to the casting roll, it will triple the time, if they take a -4 penalty, it will quadrouple the time etc.

Imbue: This spell is cast with another minor spell to put that spell into one non magical item. The item has 1 charge of that spell which will last 1-3 weeks (roll in secret). For every -2 penalty the caster takes with this spell, they can add 1-3 charges to the item.

Shadow puppet: The caster can control their shadow or the shadow of an inanimate object up to large size so that they can move it or change its shape. The spell lasts for 1-6 minutes.

Gust of wind: This spell creates a breeze that can make candles ficker and curtains rustle. If the caster takes a -2 penalty, they can create a stronger gust that can blow out candles and slowly blow smoke away.

Variety: This spell changes the colour of a small object made of cloth, wood or plant material. It can also make a pattern. If the caster takes a -2 penalty, they can do this on a medium sized object. It lasts 1-6 hours.

Nose block: The caster or a target within 5m (who may avoid the spell with a test for luck) loses their sense of smell for 1d6 minutes. They can still breathe through their nose and poisonous gas will still affect them (but they will be immune to bad smells such as the NIF spell).

Drowsiness: If cast on a willing target, the spell will get them to sleep. It can be cast on an unwilling target (who can resist with a test for luck) but they will only be affected if they missed last night's sleep. They will then get a -1 penalty to skill for 1 round. It has a range of 5m.

Afflict: This spell which has a range of 5m is cast on a target who may test for luck to resist the spell. IF they fail, they will get boils, warts and spots on their face which will last for 1-3 days. The spell does not affect stamina but it will give a -2 penalty to situations that rely on appearance.

Infect: The target of this spell must be touched and they may test their luck to avoid the spell. If they fail, they will get an uncomfortable minor illness such as a cold or a stomach ache for 1-6 hours.

Area affect:If this spell is cast in conjuction with a minor spell that has a single target and a range, it instead affects all targets in a radius equal to the spell's range.

Diminish plant: When cast on an ordinary small plant within 5m, it will stop the plant growing. After a few weeks or months, the plant will die.
Last edited by Slloyd14 on Thu May 15, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Skyrock

Re: New minor spells

Post by Skyrock » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:13 am

Nice! New cantrips are always a nice thing to have.
Slloyd14 wrote:Grow plant: This spell makes 1 small plant grow at 1.5 times its normal rate for 6 months. This works once per plant. It has a range of 5m.
As that is probably meant as some sort of blessing for entire fields, I'd rather go by area rather than by plant.

Working out how many 1m² castings it takes to bless one entire hectare, how often the caster will fail statistically and thus how far he will get each day without doing dozens of rolls is easy. Arguing how densely sweet corn grows compared to wheat compared to cabbage compared to carrots is just tedious.
Slloyd14 wrote: Blessing of health: This spell gives the caster or a target the caster touches a +1 bonus to resist a disease, poison or the pains of childbirth. This is only for the next roll they make and it will wear off after 1 hour.

Healing touch: This gives the caster a +1 bonus to the next healing skill roll they make within 1 round.

Confidence: This can only be cast on a willing target and not on the caster themself. The target picks a skill that they have and rolls against that skill. If they succeed, the spell has no effect. IF they fail, they get a +1 bonus on their next roll against that skill. If they get a critical fail, they get a +2 bonus to that roll. This only works once per person per day.
I'm wondering if this might be better handled by some sort of teamwork rule that allows aides to aid another skill roll, rather than to have a lot of specialized cantrips.
Slloyd14 wrote:Horoscope: This spell foretells a minor or vague event over the period of the next week. The target of this spell rolls a die. On the roll of a 6, they get a +1 bonus to their next test for luck within the next week. If the caster takes a -2 penalty to the spellcasting, this happens on the roll of 5-6. If they take a -4 penalty, it happens on the roll of 4-6 etc. This spell only works once per week per person.
As this is a long term spell, the penalty is meaningless - every round spent to prepare a cantrip, the caster gains +2 to the roll.

Otherwise, I like that. Fortunetelling is a classic application.
I could also imagine a load of cultural variations using the same rules, such as rune-casting in the frozen north, I Ching in Hachiman etc.
Slloyd14 wrote:Imbue: This spell is cast with another minor spell to put that spell into one non magical item. The item has 1 charge of that spell which will last 1-3 weeks (roll in secret). For every -2 penalty the caster takes with this spell, they can add 1-3 charges to the item.
Another classic, and directly in line with existing Instill.

What is unclear is how the imbued spell is triggered. Instill obviously is triggered by eating/drinking the item, but with Imbue, that is not so clear. Must the item be touched? Must a key word be spoken? Or gets the caster to choose some sort of trigger?

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:13 pm

As this is a long term spell, the penalty is meaningless - every round spent to prepare a cantrip, the caster gains +2 to the roll.
Good point about the penalties, Skyrock. How about instead of taking penalties, you spend magic points? This will introduce more tension as once a player gets 0 magic points, they can no longer cast cantrips.

Horoscope: This spell foretells a minor or vague event over the period of the next week. The target of this spell rolls a die. On the roll of a 6 or more, they get a +1 bonus to their next test for luck within the next week. The caster may spend any number of magic points to add that amount to the roll. This spell only works once per week per person.

Extend: When cast with any minor spell that has a duration or time limit, it will double it. Spending 1 magic point triples the duration, spending 2 magic points quadrouples it etc.
What is unclear is how the imbued spell is triggered. Instill obviously is triggered by eating/drinking the item, but with Imbue, that is not so clear. Must the item be touched? Must a key word be spoken? Or gets the caster to choose some sort of trigger?
Another good point, Skyrock. Due to the different types of minor spells (helpful or harmful), the caster can decide on whether the wearer can activate it or whether it is automatically activated upon the wearer when they put it on. For example, that means that the caster can imbue a jab spell on a ring so that the wearer can use the ring or that when they put the ring on, they suffer the effects of the jab spell.

Imbue: This spell is cast with another minor spell to put that spell into one non magical item. Only one spell may be imbued into each item. The item has 1 charge of that spell which will last 1-3 weeks (roll in secret). For every 1 magic point the caster spends on this spell, they can add 1-3 charges to the item.
As that is probably meant as some sort of blessing for entire fields, I'd rather go by area rather than by plant.

Working out how many 1m² castings it takes to bless one entire hectare, how often the caster will fail statistically and thus how far he will get each day without doing dozens of rolls is easy. Arguing how densely sweet corn grows compared to wheat compared to cabbage compared to carrots is just tedious.
Good point. This is why I made the area affect spell as I did not want filling every field full of quick growing plants to be too easy. The grow plant spell is still useful for single useful plants such as Antherica or a healing herb. I have also allowed casters to increase the area of the area affect spell. A hectare is about 10000 metres squared. A grow plant + area affect spell with no magic points covers a circle approx. 75 metres squared. If you spend 2 magic points (the minimum amount that a character with minor magic has), you get a circle with an area of 700 metres squared, so you can cover a hectare if one person cast this spell once a day over a period of 14 days (approx). This could be the equivalent of a village sowing festival.

Area affect:If this spell is cast in conjuction with a minor spell that has a single target and a range, it instead affects all targets in a radius equal to the spell's range. The caster may double the radius if they spend a magic point, triple the radius if they spend 2 magic points etc.
Last edited by Slloyd14 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:25 pm

Skyrock wrote:Nice! New cantrips are always a nice thing to have.

Slloyd14 wrote: Blessing of health: This spell gives the caster or a target the caster touches a +1 bonus to resist a disease, poison or the pains of childbirth. This is only for the next roll they make and it will wear off after 1 hour.

I'm wondering if this might be better handled by some sort of teamwork rule that allows aides to aid another skill roll, rather than to have a lot of specialized cantrips.
Confidence could come under a leadership or con roll. I came up with the healing cantrips to fit into the idea of folk medicine. Having another character with the healing skill could give a bonus another player's healing roll, but I think there should be at least one healing based minor spell that gives a bonus to healing rolls.

Healing touch: This gives the caster a +1 bonus to their healing skill for a roll that they make within 1 round. The caster may spend any number of magic points to increase the bonus by that amount.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Based on the size of medieval farms according to http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 244AAKF4So, I might increase the range of grow plant to 50m so that a grow plant + area affect spell could cover 7800 m squared. Spending 1 magic point will cover 31415 m squared.

Skyrock

Post by Skyrock » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Those cantrips came just in time. For my upcoming convention game, I have given Nose Block to the sorcerer (just NIFty for him), Imbue to the elven archer (who could probably use it to anchor Burn into flaming arrows) and Variety to the elven wizard chick.
Let's see if the players will put them to good use.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Skyrock wrote:Those cantrips came just in time. For my upcoming convention game, I have given Nose Block to the sorcerer (just NIFty for him), Imbue to the elven archer (who could probably use it to anchor Burn into flaming arrows) and Variety to the elven wizard chick.
Good usage! I like cantrips as they can really make a character special without giving great power

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Skyrock wrote:Those cantrips came just in time. For my upcoming convention game, I have given Nose Block to the sorcerer (just NIFty for him), Imbue to the elven archer (who could probably use it to anchor Burn into flaming arrows) and Variety to the elven wizard chick.
Let me know how you get on with that. I've come up with another cantrip.

Hideaway

This cantrip allows the caster the keep one very small object up the the weight of a gold piece upon their person undetected. The only way of discovering this item is to do a full body search. This spell could be useful to keep a precious ring from being stolen, hiding a card up your sleeve, concealing a message or saving a gold piece for emergancies. This only works on one object maximum and only on the caster. This object can remain hidden for as long as the caster wishes.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:20 am

Here's another one:

Dowsing

Allows the caster to sense large bodies of water such as streams and rivers within 1km. The spell gives a general direction but not an exact distance.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:51 am

And another one:

Coin

This spell summons a gold piece that looks like a typical gold piece for that area. The coin lasts for 24 hours. The caster can only have one coin summoned at any one time.
Last edited by Slloyd14 on Thu May 15, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:48 am

Invisible Ink

This makes one page of writing invisible for up to 1 month. It can be dispelled by the caster.

Glowing letters

For one hour after the caster casts this spell, then every thing they pick up that has writing on it will make the writing glow softly. This means that the caster is able to read in the dark. This does not counter magical darkness.

Find book

This spell allows the caster to know the direction and the distance of a book that the caster has named in a 100m radius. Perfect for librarians.

Determine Topic

This spell provides the basic nature of the information inside a book, which must be touched. It effectively gives the caster a table of contents.

Sparkle

This spell creates a rainbow glow on an object that lasts for 1 round. Doesn't do anything else - it just looks pretty. It might distract some low intelligence creatures.

Indifference

The third version of attraction and repulsion. This spell makes the reaction of a touched target go one step closer to neutral.

Cook

This spell cooks up to 1 meals worth of food upon touching it.

Detect disease

The caster of this spell is able to know if a touched person has a disease and what the disease is.

Detect treasure

The caster of this spell is able to know if there is treasure in a 500m radius. The caster will get a sense of treasure if there is 1000gp or more worth of treasure in the area. The caster won't know the direction of the treasure. The treasure might be scattered around the area. The caster's friend's treasure may be included.

Know time

The caster of this spell will know the exact time when they cast this spell.

Minor dispel

This spell is always cast with a -2 penalty. If the caster succeeds, they can counter one minor spell as it is being cast or end the effect of one minor spell.

Coin flip

This spell can be cast as a coin is flipped. It makes the coin land on the face that the caster wants.

Far arrow

This spell can be cast on an arrow, bolt or thrown weapon. The weapon has its range increased by 10%. The spell lasts for 1 round.

Iron fist

The spell makes the caster's unarmed strikes harder. For one combat, the caster gets a +1 bonus to damage rolls made unarmed.

Mr Nibbs
Knight

Re:

Post by Mr Nibbs » Mon May 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Slloyd14 wrote:Based on the size of medieval farms according to http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 244AAKF4So, I might increase the range of grow plant to 50m so that a grow plant + area affect spell could cover 7800 m squared. Spending 1 magic point will cover 31415 m squared.

This will give you a better idea of medieval farms...
Lots more info here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furlong

Farm-derived units of measurement:

The rod is a historical unit of length equal to 5½ yards. It may have originated from the typical length of a mediaeval ox-goad.
The furlong (meaning furrow length) was the distance a team of oxen could plough without resting. This was standardised to be exactly 40 rods.
An acre was the amount of land tillable by one man behind one ox in one day. Traditional acres were long and narrow due to the difficulty in turning the plough.
An oxgang was the amount of land tillable by one ox in a ploughing season. This could vary from village to village, but was typically around 15 acres.
A virgate was the amount of land tillable by two oxen in a ploughing season.
A carucate was the amount of land tillable by a team of eight oxen in a ploughing season. This was equal to 8 oxgangs or 4 virgates.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Many thanks, Mr Nibbs!

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi all! After taking your comments on board, I have made a list of minor spells from the above posts, taking out the more powerful spells (such as the area affect spells or the spells that give bonuses). Here is my finished list of minor spells.

Find north
The caster knows which direction north is for the period of 1 minute.

Magic writing
The caster is able to use their finger as a pen and write things down on paper or any flat surface for 1 minute. The writing can be erased normally.

Grow plant
This spell makes 1 small plant grow at twice its normal rate for 1 week. This works once per plant. The plant needs to be touched for this to work.

Lapse
This can be cast on a target that the caster touches. If they are aware that the spell is being cast, they may resist with a test for luck. If the target is affected, it will get a -1 penalty on its first knowledge skill roll or spellcasting roll in the next 30 minutes. If the target does not make such a roll within that time, the spell wears off.

Cure all
This spell can cure minor ailments such as colds, headaches and stomach aches. This usually has no bearing on the game.

Extend
When cast with any minor spell that has a duration or time limit, it will double it. If the caster takes a -2 penalty to the casting roll, it will triple the time, if they take a -4 penalty, it will quadrouple the time etc.

Imbue
This spell is cast with another minor spell to put that spell into one non magical item. The item has 1 charge of that spell which will last 1-3 weeks (roll in secret). The charge could be used up at the wielder’s discretion. For every -2 penalty the caster takes with this spell, they can add 1 charge to the item.

Shadow puppet
The caster can control their shadow or the shadow of an inanimate object up to large size so that they can move it or change its shape. The spell lasts for 1-6 minutes.

Gust of wind
This spell creates a breeze that can make candles flicker and curtains rustle. If the caster takes a -2 penalty, they can create a stronger gust that can blow out candles and slowly blow smoke away.

Variety
This spell changes the colour of a small object made of cloth, wood or plant material. It can also make a pattern. If the caster takes a -2 penalty, they can do this on a medium sized object. It lasts 1-6 hours.

Nose block
The caster or a target within 5m (who may avoid the spell with a test for luck) loses their sense of smell for 1d6 minutes. They can still breathe through their nose and poisonous gas will still affect them (but they will be immune to bad smells such as the NIF spell).

Drowsiness
If cast on a willing target, the spell will get them to sleep. It can be cast on an unwilling target (who can resist with a test for luck) but they will only be affected if they missed last night's sleep. They will then get a -1 penalty to skill for 1 round. It has a range of 5m.

Afflict
This spell which has a range of 5m is cast on a target who may test for luck to resist the spell. If they fail, they will get boils, warts and spots on their face which will last for 1-3 days. The spell does not affect stamina but it will give a -2 penalty to situations that rely on appearance.

Infect
The target of this spell must be touched and they may test their luck to avoid the spell. If they fail, they will get an uncomfortable minor illness such as a cold or a stomach ache for 1-6 hours.

Diminish plant
When cast on an ordinary small plant that the caster touches, it will stop the plant growing. After a few weeks or months, unless the plant gets special attention and care, the plant will die.

Hideaway
This cantrip allows the caster the keep one very small object up the the weight of a gold piece upon their person undetected. The only way of discovering this item is to do a full body search. This spell could be useful to keep a precious ring from being stolen, hiding a card up your sleeve, concealing a message or saving a gold piece for emergencies. This only works on one object maximum and only on the caster. This object can remain hidden for as long as the caster wishes.

Coin
This spell summons a gold piece that looks like a typical gold piece for that area. The coin lasts for 24 hours. The caster can only have one coin summoned at any one time.

Invisible Ink
This makes one page of writing invisible for up to 1 month. It can be dispelled by the caster.

Glowing letters
For one hour after the caster casts this spell, then every thing they pick up that has writing on it will make the writing glow softly. This means that the caster is able to read in the dark. This does not counter magical darkness.

Find book
This spell allows the caster to know the direction and the distance of a book that the caster has named in a 100m radius. Perfect for librarians.

Determine Topic
This spell provides the basic nature of the information inside a book, which must be touched. It effectively gives the caster a table of contents.

Sparkle
This spell creates a rainbow glow on an object that lasts for 1 round. Doesn't do anything else - it just looks pretty. It might distract some low intelligence creatures.

Indifference
The third version of attraction and repulsion. This spell makes the reaction of a touched target go one step closer to neutral.

Cook
This spell cooks up to 1 meals worth of food upon touching it.

Detect disease
The caster of this spell is able to know if a touched person has a disease and what the disease is.

Know time
The caster of this spell will know the exact time when they cast this spell.

Minor dispel
This spell is always cast with a -2 penalty. If the caster succeeds, they can counter one minor spell as it is being cast or end the effect of one minor spell.

Coin flip
This spell can be cast as a coin is flipped. It makes the coin land on the face that the caster wants.

Far arrow
This spell can be cast on an arrow, bolt or thrown weapon. The weapon has its range increased by 10%. The spell lasts for 1 round.

Iron fist
The spell makes the caster's unarmed strikes harder. For one combat, the caster gets a +1 bonus to damage rolls made unarmed. The cantrip lasts for 1 combat.

Lucky dodge
If the caster is wearing no armour, then this spell may help them reduce damage. They can get a +1 to their armour roll if they roll a 6 or a +2 if they roll a 7+ (you will be able to roll this in addition to using dodge or the shield tattoo, but only if the caster is using no armour at all). The cantrip lasts for 1 combat.
Last edited by Slloyd14 on Tue May 20, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sun May 18, 2014 6:35 pm

I recently read Demonstealer and there were some elves that could communicate telepatically between themselves... maybe this could be a racial kind of cantrip?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.