AFF2 horror / lovecraftian version

Bronn

Re: AFF2 horror / lovecraftian version

Post by Bronn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:29 pm

darksoul wrote:Hi Bronn.

Just a suggestion, I'm not sure I would replace luck. Since, I've started replaying AFF lately, I've found that luck is a really important stat. It was very underappreciated when I used to play the books or the RPG. When your character didn't have a high skill, using luck rolls would be huge help in combat, especially against tougher opponents. It's also am important stat since it's used to avoid spells. I like the gaining derangements part.
Thanks. You're quite right about Luck. :oops:

As for the rest of it, I'd probably redo the increased damage idea -- the system scales nicely enough as it is with fewer points available during character creation.

So. Take two!

-- Initial stats are Skill 4, Stamina 6, Luck 8

-- You have 3 points to spend as per the rules, with no stat benefiting from more than two points.

I'd also probably put a hard cap of 6 on Skill, moving development over to special skills wholesale.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Robb 1 wrote:The original FF book House of Hell and Ian Livingston's Blood of the Zombies ( with some adjustment as it uses a very stripped down version of the FF rules are also good points of reference for a present day or 1920s Horror or Lovecraftian style setting. Dread Cthulu in an AFF setting I can feel my Sanity and Fear traits slipping away already :wink:

For a more fantasy horror setting beneath Nightmare Castle could be used as a good starting block :D
I just found that here are some lovecraftian themes also in Slaves of the Abyss...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:33 pm

Halloween bump
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:32 am

I am actually running a conversion of Bodies in the Docks with an ad hoc set of lovecraftian AFF house rules: https://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=74000&date=1572465472
Overall, I'm trying to keep it simple.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:55 pm

This is the first time I've heard of Forbidden Gateway. Shame that there are few copies, and they go for obscene amounts of cash. :cry:

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:49 am

be patient and you'll find cheap options as well.