New Map of Allansia

Mr Nibbs
Knight

New Map of Allansia

Postby Mr Nibbs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi everyone, here's a detail from the new sketch map of Allansia. There will be a map legend depicting different types of terrain, ground cover, climate and other info. Each of these will have their own layer so they can be overlaid in different combinations. I also have in mind a set of distribution maps for different races, creatures and natural resources. Any ideas you have about that would be very welcome.

Allansia WiP2_sml.png
Allansia WiP2_sml.png (233.7 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
Nuvole!
Hero

Re: New Map of Allansia

Postby Nuvole! » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:08 pm

breathless!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:50 pm

A lot of the credit for this goes to Scriptarium. It's based on Jidus' French language map so they will match. I'm hoping to have a draft set of continental maps and a world map done by Xmas.
MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Postby MountainPeak11 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:57 pm

ERMAGERD. Birthday/Xmas present for me right there!!! :D
d6&d6
Adventurer

Postby d6&d6 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Mr Nibbs wrote:A lot of the credit for this goes to Scriptarium. It's based on Jidus' French language map so they will match. I'm hoping to have a draft set of continental maps and a world map done by Xmas.

Frenchies rocks 8)

By the way, take my money! I want this :D
Tentez votre chance...
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:10 am

The b&w draft maps will be ready by then, so you can expect a few more samples like this at least.
I am planning for four poster maps in full colour, but that will take a bit longer.
darksoul
Knight

Postby darksoul » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:54 am

That is just awesome.
torus
Knight

Postby torus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Interesting map - looks lovely. One thing I'd say is it took me a while to work out the scale. Because of the size at which the topographic features are illustrated, my initial impression was that it was depicting a region perhaps 150-200 miles across, but actually it's ~1000. So obviously the relationship between illustrated and actual landscape is loose.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Yes, having a clear scale on a corner would help a lot.... :roll:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Hullalla wrote:Yes, having a clear scale on a corner would help a lot.... :roll:

Thanks for those comments. It's really useful having feedback and I hope to get as many people involved in the mapping as I can. Please feel free to point out dodgy bits and make suggestions.

The quick answer is that each of those grid squares measures 187.48 miles. This section shows 6 squares, which is 1124.48 miles.

The fact that Torus could work that out demonstrates that distances can be shown in different ways and that you don't need a conventional scale if you have a rough idea of size to start with. The terrain is shown oversize to visually emphasise the importance of the information, a concept instinctive to most people and easily assumed.

However... because the original map of Titan does not show the whole surface of a globe, and the purpose of the new maps project is to create a 3D model to map these from, all distances are best guesses. In discussions with the Titan Rebuilding Forum, there was a general agreement that Titan might have an equatorial circumference of 6,000 miles, based on the 80 miles Port Blacksand to Oyster Bay distance in canon, so everything is based on that. All is explained on mrnibbsnewmaps on blogger.

Anyway... on the artwork, the grid is drawn at 33.4mm, which relates to the grid size on the master global map, which is digital. The distance between two points on the northern coastline (on the same line of latitude) measures 1687.4 miles. Previous estimates put Allansia at about 1500 miles W>E, so I am happy with that. It's probably 90% accurate, and all maps in the set will be reliably consistent. Which is a first :oops: Next year, a digital 3D model will be plotted with this data.

Get ready for some pictures...
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:00 am

A couple of years back I made this globe to try out some ideas. Now I've been adding some plaster and starting to build up the geography. Sorry about the low res images but it's a file size thing.

Allansia North sm.png
Allansia North sm.png (253.79 KiB) Viewed 2221 times

East Coast Allansia sm.png
East Coast Allansia sm.png (239.3 KiB) Viewed 2221 times

Globe 1 sm.png
Globe 1 sm.png (249.19 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:05 am

West Coast Old World sm.png
West Coast Old World sm.png (252.14 KiB) Viewed 2221 times

Old World sm.png
Old World sm.png (243.17 KiB) Viewed 2221 times

Globe 2 sm.png
Globe 2 sm.png (252.29 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:58 am

*noise of a jaw dropped on the floor in awe*
d6&d6
Adventurer

Postby d6&d6 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Mr Nibbs wrote:I am curious about how players would use the new maps. Any thoughts about that?

I transfered your response from the sorcerers thread!

Actually in my campaign, I use a customized GM screen and on the front I have put the Allansia map, a photocopy from Out of the pit. The maps looks good and vintage but the players are often taking it as a reference and I have to tell them that it's really not on scale. So a new map, a more real one, would be used for sure around my table.
Tentez votre chance...
Mr Nibbs
Knight

Postby Mr Nibbs » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:00 am

d6&d6 wrote:
Mr Nibbs wrote:I am curious about how players would use the new maps. Any thoughts about that?

I transfered your response from the sorcerers thread!

Actually in my campaign, I use a customized GM screen and on the front I have put the Allansia map, a photocopy from Out of the pit. The maps looks good and vintage but the players are often taking it as a reference and I have to tell them that it's really not on scale. So a new map, a more real one, would be used for sure around my table.

Thanks, :) that saved me starting a new one.

A downloadable map set will cover that. The print maps are aerial view maps like the B&W landscape maps, which the characters could buy in the adventure. With that would be a set of landscape views like postcards. For the GM, there would be a digital map set with separate layers which you can edit together as required. Custom maps shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding scale, Torus showed it could be approximated. I suggest that info for players should be restricted to what the characters can obtain. The player maps are meant to be read by impudent peasants :wink: and will show travel times between settlements rather than accurate distances. The GM maps will be more accurate, but I don't have the new maps data yet.

Just to let you know there there is a Mr Nibbs' Maps Youtube channel now.
Here's the first video...www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3vf5_Mltj4

I hope this works... :roll:
Attachments
Mr Nibbs' Globe Title LoRes.png
Mr Nibbs' Globe Title LoRes.png (231.46 KiB) Viewed 2170 times

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”